Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Warning: This is judgemental

So I am reading the final papers for classes of college students that went out into the community and provided volunteer service in a variety of areas related to their coursework. Every December I get to read these papers and I want to either laugh or cry.

First, hardly anyone uses spellcheck, and if they do they mistakenly correct words and end up with a sentence that doesn't make sense. They write like they speak, cursing included! To quote a student who assisted a middle school teacher who was commenting on her discovery that teachers work hard for little pay, "I would kill myself not literally bur (I assume she meant 'but') yea."

Luckily for every handful of weird, disjointed papers there is one student who, although they cannot spell, had a great experience sharing their time in the community.

No comments: